Aiden & Anais prince swaddlers
Did you know that the most important thing for new babies is to sleep? It is also important for the new Mom to have a baby that sleeps alot so she can recover her strength. Scientific research has finally proven what Mothers have know for years. Swaddled babies sleep more peacefully and for longer periods of time than unswaddled babies.
So swaddling a baby should be a no brainer when it comes to how to treat a new baby. It’s equally important for babies and their parents.
The practice of swaddling is about 6,000 years old. Swaddling is about consistency . Incorporate swaddling into the bedtime ritual. First feed the baby, bathe the baby, swaddle your baby and then sing a lullaby or tell a story. Repeat the same routine every night. Eventually, swaddling will become a sleep trigger for your baby.
Swaddling experts recommend that babies be swaddled in lightweight blankets to help reduce the risk of overheating. Full term babies can control their own temperatures as long as the outside temperature is normal, so there is no need for a heaving swaddling blankets.
Tips for swaddling:
1. Use a fabric that is slightly stretchable so that there is some give when you swaddle the baby. Too tight a swaddle can restrict baby’s movement completely or even inhibit breathing.
2. Make sure that the swaddle blanket is tight enough to keep younger infants from escaping their wrap and getting tangled in loose bedding.
3. When swaddling babies, be sure to allow their legs to settle into a natural “frog” position with the legs bent at the knees, so their hips continue to develop properly..
4. Make sure the baby’s elbos are in a natural bent position when swaddling.
5. Use a blanket large enough preferably 44 by 44 inches to allow baby to be wrapped snuggly and still have his arms and legs bently at comfortable, healthy angles.
6. Swaddled babies should never have their faces covered.
7. Swaddled babies should never be turned on their stomachs. Babies should always sleep on their backs even if unswaddled.
8. Some babies enjoy a half swaddle so that they can draw their fists up to their mouthes and self- soothe by sucking.
Uninterrupted sleep is important for babies because it is during their sleeping hours that certain brain deveopment takes place. Another reason for swaddling is to help inhibit the Moro refelx which causes infants to jerk their handles or legs while sleeping. This is a very natural reflex , but it often wakes a baby up from a sound sleep. Swaddling helps decrease the startel reflex.
Swaddling helps mimic the natural safe environment of the womb. Don’t worry when you should stop swaddling. Your baby will let you know. He will wriggle out his swaddle blanket on a regular basis or complain when you try to swaddle him. This can happen anytime between 3 months and a year. Until then, enjoy swaddling, it is a time for both you and your baby to relax and enjoy being together.